Sunday, July 21, 2013

Make-up Essentials

Sunscreen.
If you live in a city like mine, you can't go outside without wearing one. I live in a tropical country but in my city, we get more sun than rain. The structure of the city itself practically offers very little shade making our skin more susceptible to the harsh UVA and UVB rays of the sun. I can go out to work without wearing any makeup but I always make sure that I don't forget putting on sunscreen.
Banana Boat Ultra Protect Sunscreen Lotion
SM Watsons, 299-499Php
(prices may vary depending on SPF level)
On my body, I use Banana Boat's Ultra Protect Sunscreen Lotion with SPF 80. There are so many brands to choose from, but I chose this particular brand because it's one of Bobbi Brown's favorite brand of sunblocks mentioned on her book, "Beauty Evolution". Also because it is water resistant, contains Aloe Vera and Vitamin E, and is recommended by the Skin Cancer Foundation. It feels heavy on the skin that's why I only use it for my body.
Neutrogena Ultra Sheer Dry Touch Sunblock
SM Watsons, 509.75Php
On my face however, I use Neutrogena's Ultra Sheer Dry-touch Sunblock with SPF 50. It feels very light on the skin and is dermatologist tested while providing superior protection against skin-aging UVA and burning UVB rays. My good friend - Shirley's recommendation is Neutrogena's Clear Face Liquid Lotion Sunscreen Broad Spectrum SPF 55, but I can't find it here in my city.
It's specifically made for the face so I think it's the other best option to buy. Check out her blog, for other skin care product recommendations.










Maybelline Clear Smooth Aqua Gel Foundation
SM Watsons, 350-550Php
(forgot the actual price, sorry!)

Foundation.
My favorite brand for a foundation is always gonna be Max Factor. But for everyday use, I tend to wear light to medium
coverage ones such as Maybelline's Clear Smooth Aqua Gel Foundation. Gel foundations are great for oily skin but the formula is difficult to work with when applying. I'm using my fingers to apply it and I have to blend it very quickly because it dries easily when it gets into the skin.










For Eyebrows.
Don't forget the eyebrows! Eyebrows frame your face. It affects your whole look! You can forget applying your blush and eyeliner but you can't ever forget doing your eyebrows (mascara and lipstick as well) - unless you want to achieve that Mona Lisa look by bleaching it or purposely not filling it in. Cara Delevingne, Brooke Shields, Audrey Hepburn, Lily Collins and our very own Gretchen Barretto are just one of the few lucky icons with perfect and thick eyebrows. But we can achieve that too by growing it out! Check out my "Oils for your Brows" blog post to know how. ;)
Nichido Eyebrow Pencil
SM Watsons/Dept Store, 138Php

Pencils.
My original favorites are MAC's Lingering and Fling but they cost Php 950 - 1,000.00 each and I just don't think that they're practical for everyday use. I would only use it for special occasions and for my clients. These are great and precise and I would love to use it everyday if it just weren't for the price. Anyway, right now, my go-to eyebrow pencil is Nichido's eyebrow pencil in shades Chestnut and Taupe (they also have it in Tiger Eye). I was so happy when I found them! It's just the perfect substitute for my MAC favorites and it's inexpensive too! What I love about it is it's so easy to work with. The formula is so smooth and their range of colors are just amazing!

Mary Kay Eyebrow Gel
Mary Kay, 600-650Php
Gels.
I'm in love with Mary Kay's clear brow gel! It's the perfect brow gel for someone who doesn't want too much color on their eyebrows. You can just wear it alone if you're going for that minimalist look.
If you want to add more definition and color, try MAC's brow set. They have it in three colors - Beguile, Show-off and Girl Boy. I saw pictures of professional makeup artists use it on actresses and models all the time. Famous MUA's mention it on their vlogs and blogs, and it's almost always featured on magazines as well! So if you're looking for a birthday present for a friend, sister, mother or grandma... try giving them these and teach them how to use it, for sure they'll love you (EVEN MORE) for it!
MAC Brow Set
The Carefree Shopper, 950Php

Marionnaud Eyebrow Brush Set
SM Dept Store/Watsons, 59.75Php

Eyebrow Brushes.
These are essential. An angled brush is great when working with eyebrow shadows but if you're using pencils, an old mascara wand or an eyebrow brush like the one above (right side) is great for blending it in! I have been looking for eyebrow brushes for a long time now and the one from Marionnaud is just perfect. An angled brush on one side, and a mascara wand on the other. They have two sizes for these. I got mine in small since I want to be able to put it in my makeup bag.

Eyeshadows.
I rarely use eyeliners. I use eyeshadows as a substitute since it's more natural and effortless-looking. A neutral pallete like this one from The Balm's Nude 'Tude is just amazing. The packaging is very cute too! Nude colors in
The Balm Nude 'Tude Palette
matte and shimmery textures from this palette are great for both night time and day time use. My favorites are: 1) Silly, 2) Sexy, 3) Sleek, and 4) Serious. At daytime, I mix Serious and Sleek, but at night I use Serious and Silly.


1 Silly
2 Sexy
3 Sleek
4 Serious





THE BALM Nude 'Tude Palette
The Carefree Shopper
(just inquire on their site, because I got this for a long time now and I can't remember
the price or if they still have this on hand)

Eyelash Curler.
I recently got my very first Shu Uemura eye curler from a stall at Robinson's Triangle area. I forgot the name of the store but they're located near the back entrance of the building, near the DVD area. They sell soaps primarily, but what caught my attention are the stacks of cosmetic brands sold at VERY affordable prices! At first, I doubted if they were authentic because the prices were really very cheap but then I asked the lady if I could open some of their products just to check it for authenticity. Their Urban Decay and MAC products looked pretty much convincing to me. Their Dolly Wink brow sets are legit as well! So I just went ahead and got that Shu Uemura eye curler for Php 350.00 only! I am not kidding, 350. Online, you can buy that at 1,000 on the least - WITHOUT shipping fee. I think, that this purchase is the wisest decision I've ever made when it comes to spending on cosmetics, I think. ;)

Shu Uemura Eyelash Curler
Robinson's Triangle, 350Php


Anyway, so what I'm basically telling you is to invest on good quality products but to always remember to be practical as well. Money matters - unless you have bills that grow on trees in your backyard.

Eyelash curlers are great for opening up your eyes and when matched with that perfect mascara, you'll be conquering the world in no time.

Mascara.
You have to have a mascara. Any mascara will do. You just have to find the one that isn't drying and heavy on your eyelashes because if it does, it will end up bringing your eyelashes down instead of lifting them up. Maybelline's line of mascara products are great (not to mention readily available for Bacolodnons, too) but I still wanna try other famous brands like Majolica Majorca or Dolly Wink, Lancome, Dior and Armani. Currently I'm using Rimmel's Extra Super Lash in Blackest Black. Sadly, I don't think there's a store that sells it here in my city (trust me, I looked everywhere). I got it from my Aunt in the UK and it's a great product! By far, it is the most perfect mascara I've ever tried.

Rimmel Extra Super Lash






Physician's Formula Multi-Colored Blush
The Carefree Shopper (1,200-1,800 Php i'm not sure because i had it pre-ordered from them)
Blush.
Blushes make you look healthy. Choose the one that compliments your skin. My favorite blush is Physician's Formula's Multi-Colored Blush in Blushing Peach. The color is just amazing. It is matte as well so it means plus points for me (I stay away from products that have shimmer/glitter since I already have an oily skin, shimmer/glitter will just add shine to my face). I have been using this for a long time now and I would repurchase this product many times over. 

Physician's Formula Multi-Colored Blush
The Carefree Shopper


Lip Balm.
Blistex Lip Tone
SM Dept Store/Watsons, 80-120Php MAX
Lip Balms are great when you don't want to look too made up but still want to give your lips that healthy color and moisture to keep them from cracking. Choose the one that also has SPF in it so that your lips may be protected from the sun as well. My favorite is the Blistex Lip Tone, I got it from SM but I can't remember how much was the price. Php 80-120.00. It will not reach Php 150 for sure. It has a sheer finish with a pinkish brown color that just mimics the natural color of my lips. It's a great product because it has SPF 15 - perfect for keeping your lips safe from the rays of the sun and at the same time, keeping it moisturized!

Blistex Lip Tone
SM Dept Store/Watsons, 80-120Php MAX


Lipstick.
You have to have at least one neutral shade of lipstick for everyday use. The one that's close to your natural lip color IS the perfect color. MAC's lipstick in MEHR is perfect for me because it is, again, "matte" and it's close to my natural lip color. It has a very nice soft pink color with brown undertones in it. Most matte lipsticks are drying but this one is absolutely the opposite. Although it has a matte finish, you can still feel your lips moisturized plus, it's also long lasting!

MAC Lipstick in MEHR
The Carefree Shopper, 950Php



MAC Lipstick in MEHR



Below are the swatches for the products listed above:
1. MAC's Brow Set in Girl Boy
2. Nichido - Chestnut
3. Nichido - Taupe
4. Blistex
5. MAC - Mehr





2 comments:

  1. Thanks for mentioning my blog! I loved reading this post! Wish you had this blog when I was still in Philippines! It would have helped a ton! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for that positive reinforcement! Watch out for more! X

      Delete